Some of this week’s creative writing prompts are a bit more advanced than usual.
Try them out and see what happens.
Creative Writing Prompts
1. Write a short scene that shows (not tells) the reader that someone is very ill and probably dying.
2. Write a short scene that shows (not tells) the reader that someone is head-over-heels in love.
3. Describe the sunset in 3 sentences or more – without resorting to cliched phrases.
4. Use sensory details to describe your favorite restaurant. Try to include details for each of the 5 senses.
5. Sketch out an extended bio (a page or more) of the main character for a story you are currently working on. Try to uncover something about this character that you don’t already know.
6. Write 5 fresh metaphors to describe a train.
7. Use the rule of three to start a new story (use it somehow in the opening paragraph of the story).
Now…complete each of these prompts:
8. The dog sat in the soft green grass beside the pond.
9. Maisie wasn’t fond of ducks. But now this small, noisy gray one seemed to be following her home.
10. Jonathan hated the beach, while Bethany deplored the mountains. It was not a match made in heaven…or was it?