1. You’re a fifteen-year-old whose just rummaged around in the attic/basement and found an old trunk. In it you find old mementoes belonging to your grandfather. You find a stack of old letters addressed to him, in a lovely handwriting. When you read one of them, you realize it’s a love letter and one not written by your grandmother. You must find out their history and whether your grandfather was unfaithful in his marriage.
2. You’ve just been insulted by a stranger who obviously thinks you’re someone else. You’re undecided whether to laugh or get anger You look him in the eye and …
3. You stumble away from the doctor’s office, your heart pounding, and tears streaming. Why?
4. Your new in-laws have come to visit for the first time. You are beaming at them as they get out of their car. Inside, you’re laughting at their expressions of shock and disgust at the shack you’re living in with their newly-married child. You can hardly wait until they see the inside of your shack.
5. The order has come down. You have half an hour to collect what you want to save from your house before your evacuation. Your mind is numb. Now what?
6. Your best friend has just heard devastating news and needs all the strength you can give. At the same time, you’ve discovered your spouse has landed you in financial ruin. You’re torn between your own needs and that of your family and your fest friend’s major distress.
7. Flaying has never been your favorite mode of travel. Now you’re wedged between a smoker, who can’t have a cigarette, and someone who hums almost continuously. To top it off, you’ve been sitting on the tarmac for nearly an hour waiting to take off and the pilot has just informed you that it will be at least another hour before the plane can leave the airport.
8. Rain has come at last to your drought-stressed area. The kids are playing outside in it. The birds are bathing in every puddle they can find, and your sheepdog comes in from playing with the kids and decides to roll on your freshly cleaned living room carpet.
9. Your spouse had foot surgery a few days previously and is still limping around in a “boot”. Tonight, you’re spouse to go to a formal corporate dinner for the new clients and your spouse should go with you. Remember that healing foot?
10. You’ve had a lovely dinner out with friends and are feeling completely satisfied with the world. Suddenly, the mood is shattered by a cell phone. Your friend’s husband has an emergency call come through, forcing them to leave immediately. You see them off, waving with understanding at their need. You realize the waiter has just placed the tab in your waving hand. Now, you’re stuck with the cost of the meal and you don’t have a credit card.
About Claudette J. Young
Claudette J. Young has been writing and publishing since 2008. While working in multiple genres, she’s begun to concentrate on specific forms. Short forms, such as flash fiction, short stories, and poetry clutter her work space. Episodic series (of short stories/novelettes/novellas) have moved to the top of her hit parade and is where her energy is focused now.