Since I live by the sea, I thought it would be fun to come up with some creative writing prompts this week based on the ocean and the coast.
Try these as story starters:
1. Jon looked out to sea.
His buddies had told him the water was too rough for surfing today.
But Jon wasn’t so sure.
2. Sherry pulled into the parking lot at the beach in her little silver kia.
Before she even got out of the car she admired the fluffy white clouds and the roar of the tide as the waves crashed to shore.
But it was 9:00 on a Monday morning.
Should she really be at the beach?
3. Turtle tracks. Do doubt about it. These were turtle tracks.
Phyllis slowed down her little three wheeler and came to a stop.
She knew what she needed to do.
4. When Mark said he loved to build sand castles, Theresa had no idea he meant anything like what he had just created. Wow!
5. Jan felt a few raindrops on her face as she sat in her beach chair surveying the pelicans as they glided by.
A little rain never hurt anybody, she thought to herself.
6. Judy had never seen the beach like this.
Paper and plasticware were everywhere.
She could only imagine what had caused all this.
7. “Today we’re going to catch some sand fleas,” said Adrian.
Nick just looked at him and wondered – Why would we want to do that?
8. Laura pointed excitedly towards the ocean. “There…it was right there. Did you see it?”
9. There they were.
They seemed to be floating just below the surface of the water, like three large baked potatoes.
What amazing creatures, thought Samantha.
10. Gladys laid back on her beach towel and put a pillow under her head.
She opened the first page to what she hoped would be a delightful “beach read.”