Whether you earn money writing fiction or nonfiction, or both, it’s a good idea to start each work day with a little creative writing practice.
Use one or more of these creative writing prompts each morning to write a new short story, poem, or even the start to a novel.
Creative Writing Prompts
1. Mary’s life was like a day at the beach, until…
2. Jennifer should have suspected something when Marshall didn’t call when he said he would.
3. “It’s magic!” said Eric. “There’s no other explanation.”
4. “Give me that!” demanded Nancy.
5. Margaret winced at her reflection in the window as she walked past the store. Was that old woman really her?
6. Everyone said, “You’re too old for that!” But Marcus knew they were wrong.
7. Betty loved her family. But she always longed to know her biological mother.
8. Even little white lies can create big problems. Perry knew that to be true.
9. Marcy could hardly believe it. Grandmama had left her everything when she died!
10. “You’ll love this place,” said Bryan. “It grows on you.”