Since Independence Day was last week, here are some more writing prompts to reflect on personal freedom, the flag, etc. This week’s prompts are from Joan Leotta.
Creative Writing Prompts
1. Write an essay on what red in the flag means.
2. Write an essay about what blue in the flag means to you.
3. Which star (in the US flag) are you? What is your home state and why do you love it?
4. What is the meaning of the color white in the flag?
5. Have you ever seen a live eagle? Write how its flight inspires patriotism in your mind.
6. Write a letter to a new citizen about the American freedoms most precious to you.
7. If you were founding a new country, what would be the five most important things you would put into its government?
8. You are walking along a road and suddenly you see fireworks just over the hill. What is going on? Is it a celebration? Is it the Fourth?
9. You are at a picnic with several people you know. One of them laughs and says he has purchased illegal fireworks and will be using them later that night—after the public fireworks— and with his child. You want to stop him. What do you do?
10. You work in an emergency room – for a veterinary hospital! There are several animals you are watching overnight when the fireworks start outside the building. Write about how you calm the animals.
About Joan Leotta
Joan Leotta has been playing with words since childhood.
She is a poet, essayist, journalist, playwright, and author of several books both fiction and non-fiction for children and adults.
Joan lives in Calabash, NC where she walks the beach with husband, Joe.
You can contact her via her blog or her Facebook page.